Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Who are you?

About a week ago I had an away basketball at this school called Cornell. After the game, on my way to the bus, I was talking to two young ladies on our girl’s team, and they proceeded to tell me that there were some people behind them that was talking about me and calling me the N-Word! One girl off our girl’s team turned around and said something to them, and the people calling me names threw water on her. To solve the solution, the ladies went to the Athletic Director of the school to let him know what happened. I just want to thank the ladies on the basketball team for standing up and saying something, it is greatly appreciated!

When I first heard this, I didn’t know how to fell…I needed to think about it for a little while. One feeling that I did have was that we just have some people in this world that are so ignorant, living in Storm Lake…I have seen a lot of ignorant people. I am a person that does not use the N-Word because it puts down the African American culture and all the people that fought for our freedom! But I wanted to look and think deeper about this situation…..

Before African Americans had the right to vote, we were called “nigger.” After African Americans started going to the pools to vote, we then were called “colored.” Then in the 40’s and 50’s when African American started moving north, we were called “Negroes.” Now today, the proper word is African American. Another example is that “wetbacks” became known as “illegal aliens” and then soon after that “undocumented workers.” Old people became “elderly” and then “senior citizens.” All of these are labels, and yet some people accept that to be their identity.

A lot of people have no idea who they are. There is an African American proverb that I feel is so true. It says “If you don’t know who you are, anyone can name you; and if anyone can name you, you will answer to anything.”

If you hear anyone name you, or give you a label…what will you say? I will say that I am a Man of Character, better yet…a child of God, and that I can do anything that I set my mind to!!!

Peace and Blessings!!!
Dre’s Think TANK (Thinking Above the Naturally Known)
http://drewagner.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Des said...

Real talk, from your recent situation and others I've experienced and heard has lead me to the summation that we can only control what we can. Somethings are out simply uncontrollable and out of our hands, especially labeling. You gotta think, if a caucasian person wants me to be a nigger and refers to me as such, I can't do anything about it but continue to live a meaningful and righteous life. Of course it angers me to see and hear such ignorance, but as Byrd Gang's Capo, Jim Jones says, "If people knew better, they would do better." Unfortunately, these people didn't know any better. Perhaps if we as a people stopped our "nigger" ways the word would commit suicide and eliminate itself.....
Keep spittin that truth kid!!! Good luck today!!!